Can't Find What You Are Looking For? Try Google Search

Custom Search

Thursday, September 9, 2010

To Wash or Not To Wash; This is The Question

Are you a hand washer? Do you wash your hands after every trip to the bathroom? Others just do their business, and walk out. Then you see the people that only do the quick, pointless wash. The quick wash, is what individuals do when they feel pressured to wash their hands. They only cleanse because someone is in the restroom with them. I saw a guy do this yesterday. He walked up to the sink, the water just barely touched his hands, and he was done. I am not an expert, but that was pointless in my mind. I have a friend who washes only if someone is in the bathroom. If he is alone, he just walks out.

I wash on a case by case basis. That's right, I do not wash every time. Here is my reasons for why. There are people everywhere who don't wash their hands. If you are a washer, you go to the sink and turn on the faucet. So, your infected hands touched the lever to turn on the water. You wash, then touch the faucet again with your clean hands to shut it off. The sink was already touched with dirty hands though. Now you are back where you started. You have successfully reapplied the germs you were trying to kill. Next, you leave the restroom and push or pull the door. No problem, right? But wait, the people that did not wash their hands touched the door too. Now you have your original germs, and the unwashed patrons as well. You can go enjoy your lunch and feel better about yourself because you are clean.

Think of all the things you touch when out in public. Everything you lay your hands on have already been touched before. Doors, carts, products, chairs, ketchup bottles, chairs and on and on. I only wash in certain situations. Most of the time, I will walk right out of the bathroom unwashed. I don't care who is there giving me dirty looks. When I go into a bathroom , I pull the door open. This is the "cleaner" side of the door. I walk to the urinal and do my business. Most toilets are automatic or waterless these days, therefore there is no need to flush. I head back to the door and kick it open. I have completed my bathroom break without touching anything. (except for walking into the bathroom) What if the door pulls open? I kick it open going into the bathroom, then when leaving I pull out one clean paper towel, and use it to put on the handle. I then dispose of it at the nearest can. I love bathrooms without doors, and with automatic toilets.

When I do wash my hands, I will use a paper towel to turn the faucet off. Then again, to open the door if needed. I do not stress, or worry about hand washing as others do. I feel that this hand sanitizing nation is ridiculous. I rarely get sick, and can't remember the last time I had the flu. I'm a very clean person, however, I think people go overboard with germs and hand sanitizing. I grew up in "hand sanitizer free" world, and we ate germs for lunch. We don't need to wash every time, or sanitize each time our hands touch something. Some of you are so worried about saving every drop of water, quit washing your hands constantly. I will continue to wash my hands on a "as needed" basis. You can continue to give me dirty looks as I walk out of the bathroom. Part of the reason I am not always sick is, my body can handle germs. Always cleaning and keeping your body from germs, makes you more susceptible to the germs. People in food service and health related jobs, keep washing. Everyone else, quit wasting our valuable water supply. Wash only when needed. If you ever run into me on the street, be sure to shake my hand?

No comments:

Post a Comment